With less than a month until the US presidential election,people seem to be focused on the forthcoming vice-presidential and 2 remaining presidential debates.
But something much more insidious than the political lies heard at debates is hanging on this election, which for reasons that defy logic has not gotten the public attention that it should. The religious extremism of certain elected GOP officials has seemingly gone largely unnoticed and under-appreciated for its potentially damaging influence over the lives of everyone in this country.
For starters, many Tea Party members of the US government operate from a fundamentalist religious point of view, opposing abortion, contraception, gay rights, separation of THEIR church and state, equal pay and rights for women, evolution, global warming, stem cell research, respect for science, and other “anti-scripture” views. And this force covertly works to undermine the social and scientific progress of the past 200 years in the USA.
Consider, for example, Todd Akins, the republican US congressman from Missouri, who is running for US senate against democrat incumbent Claire McCaskill. Akin has made a whole litany of statements that reflect the extremism that seems to go hand-in-hand with contempt for science ans social freedoms:
* “[Social Security and Medicare] are enslaving people and destroying people’s lives… Basically we fought a war on slavery already, we don’t want that anymore.” (1/10/12)
* “[Doctors are] giving abortions to women who are not actually pregnant.” (1/22/08)
* “I think [food stamps are] destructive; putting people in chains to the welfare state is not compassionate and it needs to stop.” (6/11/12)
* “One of the things that did distinguish me from some of my colleagues here was the fact that I would support a repeal of the 17th Amendment.” (6/11/12)
* “Our freedom is seriously threatened right now… I hope we will fight the battle with ballots and not bullets, but the Second Amendment is our last ditch of defense.” (4/24/12)
* “[Claire] had a confidence and was much more ladylike [in 2006], but in the debate on Friday she came out swinging.” (9/26/12)
* “The federal government is destroying things right now. It’s paying women to have children out of wedlock. What you pay for, you get more of. That’s nuts.” (5/25/12)
* “The bottom line is you’ve got a conservative House, you’ve got a bunch of socialists in the Senate, and you’ve got a commie President. That’s where we are.” (4/16/11)
* “[Student loans are] the stage three cancer of socialism that is threatening our freedom.” (6/2/12)
* “From what I understand from doctors [pregnancy from rape] is really rare. If it’s a legitimate rape, the female body has ways to try to shut that whole thing down.” (8/19/12)
* “I don’t believe in [global warming] at all, okay?… I just don’t think the evidence is good there from a scientific point of view.” (8/1/12)
Although many people have already seen these statements, Akin is still running even with McCaskill in Missouri, which says something very scary about half of the Missouri voters.
And there are other, somewhat less reported incidents that foretell a potentially ominous story for the USA should the GOP somehow regain full control of both the US congress and the presidency. Remember Mitt Romney has no positions of his own on anything other than those of the people he’s facing and/or dealing with:
In Arkansas, republican state representative Ron Hubbard stated publicly that slavery was a “blessing in disguise” for the African Americans because without it, they would still be poor in Africa. And another republican running for the Arkansas house of representatives, Charlie Fuqua, advocates deporting all Muslims for the USA, as well as the death penalty for unruly children!
And more: Republican US congressman Paul Broun from Georgia has called evolution, embryology and the Big Bang theory “lies from the pit of hell!“, adding that the Earth is only 9000 years old, was made in just 6 days, and that “God’s word is true.” Unimaginably, he is running with NO opposition from a democrat in his district…which means he’s re-elected to Congress!!
Even more: republican US senator James Inhofe of Oklahoma recently stated that global warming is the biggest hoax ever, because the scriptures (!!) says that Noah was told that after the flood that killed everyone on Earth except Noah’s immediate family, that God felt so bad that He said He’ll never do it again!!
And finally, these folks believe to a somewhat less violent extent (for now) what the Taliban believes when it comes to women: They are not really equals, and their body parts must not be mentioned in public. The very word “vagina” is abhorrent because vaginas are evil items that cast evil magical spells upon men. Remember when Michigan state rep Lisa Brown was recently banned from the GOP-controlled Michigan state house for saying the word “vagina”?
People need to be afraid, They need to wake up, and they need to act NOW, because if the GOP sweeps this election, the motto in this country will be…
“America: Welcome to the 12th Century“
p.s. No wonder 20% of the people in this country claim total non-affiliation with any religion….