Tomorrow is Thanksgiving, a traditional US and Canadian holiday during which many people gather to have a large family dinner and, theoretically, to give thanks for all the good thing in their lives, even though its origin is somewhat disputed. Still, for many the holiday has evolved to generally include over-eating in large groups, and then sitting in front of a television watching sports because of the discomfort when moving around too much due to the large mass now inside the stomach. And while many will remember what they’re thankful for in their lives, some will also count the things and events they are not so thankful for…perhaps to achieve some form of balance?
Accordingly, We, the PEOPLE!! has developed a partial list of events and items to give thanks for, and a list of events and items that do not illicit thankful thoughts and feelings. Adopt any or all of the list as one sees fit. The list is by no means all-inclusive. In fact, additions are always welcome.
First, the positive:
Events and items to be thankful for include the following:
1. Both GW Bush and “Tricky Dick” Cheney are no longer in office.
2. Barack Obama won the 2008 election. A distinct perk of that event is that Sarah Palin is not vice-president.
3. The democrats regained control of congress (but also see the not-thankful list about this).
4. First the first time in history, meaningful health care reform has passed the house of representatives and is to be debated in the senate, and therefore, for the first time in history, has a real chance of becoming reality in the last national hold-out of all the advanced industrial countries on earth, the USA.
5. NY23 voted a democrat into congress for the first time since the end of the civil war. It’s a sign.
6. The US Constitution is again fully operational (after eight years of abuse).
7. The nation’s air traffic controllers finally have a fair contract after three years of unnegotiated abuse by the Bush Administration.
8. The economy continues to improve, albeit slowly, but steadily.
9. The war on science is over, and science won it.
10. The Earth is located on the outskirts of the Milky Way galaxy. Thankfully, as a result, the more advanced civilizations possibly located closer to the galactic center probably won’t find us. If they did, they would probably make us the laughing stock of the rest of the galactic civilizations for being so primitive, destructive and hateful towards each other. Or they might simply eliminate us as a threat to galactic peace and harmony. In 2012.
11. The “Star Trek” franchise has been rebooted and a sequel to Star Trek 11 will be filmed. Logically, it’s Star trek 12.
12. The music of ABBA endures.
13. Gas isn’t back up to over $4 a gallon, or even $3 a gallon. Yet.
However, some not-so-thankful events and items are:
1. GW Bush And “Tricky Dick Cheney were ever elected in the first place.
2. Democrats in the senate can’t seem to get it together, and their majority is razor thin.
3. Big business, big health insurance companies, big “pharma”, and the ultra-conservatives they finance continue throwing massive amounts of money and energy into a totally dishonest and fear-mongering ad campaign bent on destroying any change to their profit-motivated (as opposed to health and wellness-motivated) health system, even at the expense of the truth, and despite the cost in human lives and suffering. If that same money was spent on research, they could probably have cured cancer by now.
4. The people responsible for implementing torture as “acceptable US policy” still haven’t been held accountable.
5. Human beings are still allowed to go hungry.
6. According to a blue-ribbon panel of experts who studied the US space program at length, insufficient money has been budgeted over the next 10 years to allow us to ever leave lower earth orbit and/or return to the moon. And forget about exploring Mars.
7. In business, even though management is always directly responsible for any concessions they give to labor during negotiations, labor is always blamed for management’s concessions.
8. Some who that cannot convince anyone that they are right by using honest facts and data, revert to lies, fear-mongering, and hate-mongering instead. They even become talk show hosts making tons of money, or write books about being rogues, which also makes tons of money.
9. Even with 500 channels available on TV, nothing worth watching is often on.
10. No matter how frequently one buys a state-of-the-art-cell phone, it’s obsolete the next day.
11. Diet and exercise can slow the aging process, but nothing stops it.
12. We are still at war.
13. Battlestar Galactica hasn’t been revived.
On balance, there is more thankful than not, although the non-revival of Battlestar Galactica is very hard to take. 🙂
Still, for all who celebrate or commemorate the day, We, the PEOPLE!! wishes a safe and joyous Thanksgiving!
Just don’t eat too much.